Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Acclaim & Agony

This weekend, I walked by a church with a sign out front promoting a service that week entitled "Acclaim and Agony." I'm sure they weren't talking about professional development, but since that was on my mind, I read it as a sign. Well, beyond its obvious meaning as an actual sign.

My own professional development has been on my mind a lot lately. Namely, how much is enough? not enough? overwhelmingly too much? It seems like the line between my own acclaim & agony is thin. The mere fact that I have a job, as an archivist, and perform my job duties everyday is set, but on either side is the slacker and the over-achiever-- and it's oh so easy to be both... And, when I step back from my manic level of involvement, I wonder why I am actually working so hard. What is the ultimate goal?

During my walk in the Oregon drizzle this weekend, I came to the conclusion that the goal seems to be the involvement itself. It is the charge I get from being a part of the group that contributes and creates. I feel priviledged to be allowed to be a part of the conversation, honored that people want to hear what I have to say! At the same time, I long for coasting... Coming to work everyday, typing my email and answering reference questions, going home at night without a reading to do, and getting up the morning without checking my email/blog/news feed/etc.

Any other hyper-achievers out there?!?

3 comments:

Iris said...

Yes, yes, yes. I know exactly what you're talking about. For my own sanity, there are days when I come to work and grant myself a "vacation" day. I'm not actually not working, but I only do the little mindless things, don't take anything home, take myself out for lunch, and generally let my brain regroup. It's also fun to sit there and smile at the fact that you're on vacation and nobody knows it... :)

Tiah Edmunson-Morton said...

I love that: being on vacation at work... That's when you catch up on the easy email and update the calendar!

Monique said...

Yes! And I'm still a library school student! I can't just do the minimum; I want to give it my all. I do give myself Sundays off, though, to reconnect with myself, my family, and the rest of my life.